Sunday 23 January 2011

Why I Want To Go To Bristol

I've never been to Bristol but here the reasons I want to go are:
1) Being Human
2) Skins

And they're both coming back on TV this week! Hurrah!

Being Human won't actually be in Bristol anymore though. The third series will be in Wales. In fact it'll be in Barry! (From Gavin and Stacey). Yes, it seems I really do see the world in terms of TV.

So, BH is back tonight! And I'm pretty excited; it's one of the best British things on TV (unfortunately it lacks as much competition as I'd like) combining proper dark storylines with believable characters who (despite not being human) feel human. And are funny - like a normal group of mates (except their issues are slightly different) getting through life. And the cast are rather hot!

On the other hand, Skins while being entirely non-supernatural is, to me, at least, pretty unrealistic! Because when I was 17 I wasn't having any sex or drugs (though there was plenty of drama). We did drink but at house parties and it all seemed so much safer. But some people say that for them Skins is truly what their teenage years were like (really?). It's the beginning of a new generation for the show (its third incarnation of sixth formers) and I'm excited to see what these new characters bring (more baggage, pain, sex and death, I imagine.)

I don't think that every episode of the show is perfect - far from it - but I do think that from time to time it is magnificent TV. And it's also the only attempt made at a decent teen show in Britain. We're still waiting for our Dawson's Creek but until then we have this and I'm so glad we do.

(And Josie Long and Robin Ince contribute to the writing plus there are comedian cameos throughout! Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment