Tuesday 25 January 2011

The British Comedy Awards 2011

Ah, Channel Four. Better all ready!!

I love watching award shows. Last week I watched the Golden Globe highlights (yay Jim Parsons, double yay Annette Bening!). The best ones are The Baftas and The Oscars, I think. But the GGs were great for honouring TV as well as films. Hugh Laurie, Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore etc in the same room! Amazing stuff.

Saturday night was different though - whereas normally I watch award ceremonies on my own and cry throughout I watched The BCAs with Richard. We had M&Ms and popcorn and it was a very special night. Films and TV are wonderful and important, of course. But comedy people are our people - people who don't seem inaccesible (not least as I've seen many of them in real life and bumped into two of the winners for little chats - Peter Capaldi and Charlie Brooker).

Jonathan Ross was a good host, as usual. I'd love to see Stewart Lee host. But that would never happen. Nevermind, JR was fine! Alex Horne or someone could be a good host - but I suppose JR is used to live TV.

I wasn't sure about some of the people presenting the awards, I have to say! People from The Only Was Is Essex?! Why? I'd have preferred a few more comedians actually presenting!

The awards:

Michael McIntyre won Best TV Male Comic - I would've loved David Mitchell to win but expected McIntyre would. And he's funny and of the three nominated (Harry Hill, DM, MM) he's the only one who does actual stand up on TV! But David Mitchell is obviously one of the best men alive!

And he did win something - sort of! - when Would I Lie To You won for Best Panel Show (beating Have I Got News For You and Shooting Stars). I really enjoy WILTY especially with Rob Brydon. HIGNFY is always good though Ian Hislop annoyed more quite a bit last year. And I partly blame him for the Tories being in power. Hm, anyway. SS I haven't watched since it returned; I loved it as a child but am not really bothered now. Anyway, yay for Lee Mack, David Mitchell and Rob Brydon (all people I've seen in the flesh!)

Miranda Hart did extremely well, winning three out of the four awards she was nominated for!! I'm not a fan of Miranda but I do love Miranda! She seems lovely. The Comedy King or Queen award was a shock - as the public could vote I expected McIntyre to win (though wanted David Mitchell to). In the New British TV category I would've preferred Grandma's House to win. I loved that. I loved The Trip too! In Best Comedy Actress I liked all three - Miranda, Jo Brand and Katherine Parkinson.

Lovely Jo Brand did win Best Female TV Comic though I really wanted Sarah Millican to win. I feel like I know her and she's from where I'm from and she's geniunely brilliant! Another year, I'm sure! Shappi Khorsandi's someone I like but I don't think she's amazing. Anyway, I couldn't possibly begrudge Jo winning!

I can begrudge Harry Hill winning Best Entertainment Personality - I did love him until his "I Want A Baby" disgrace. That was wrong and offensive on many many levels. The fact that he collected the award as Wagbo didn't help. My beloved Charlie Brooker should've won. Ant and Dec should not have won (I don't care that they're from where I'm from, they are on far too much shit!)

Charlie Brooker did collect an award when Newswipe won for Best Comedy Entertainment Programme - beating Harry Hill's TV Burp and The Graham Norton Show. I do like Graham Norton but Charlie Brooker is amazing. So YAY!! It was great when the people we wanted to win won!!

So it was great too when Peter Capaldi won!! Lush!!!! He got Best Comedy Actor beating James Buckley (I don't watch The Inbetweeners), Rob Brydon and Tom Hollander. I was really happy for him.

Kayvan Novak won Best British Comedy Performance in a Film (I haven't seen Four Lions!! Keep meaning too!); I would've gone for Aaron Johnson but that's just because I've seen (and love) Kick Ass. The other nominee was Nigel Lindsay.

The Inbetweeners won Best Sitcom beating the wonderful The Thick of It and Miranda. I've never seen more than the odd bit of The Inbetweeners and am not impressed by what I've seen (though Greg Davies is brilliant!). Oh well. What happened to Peep Show? It's been amazing! No nomination even.

The kids' TV show Horrible Histories won Best Sketch Show which was a surprise!! A good one though - Harry and Paul and The Armstrong and Miller Show can try harder next year. Why wasn't That Mitchell and Webb Look nominated though?!

John Bishop - Best Male Comedy Breakthrough Artist - wasn't bothered who won this! Jack Whitehall didn't (hurrah) nor did Kayvan Novak.

Samantha Spiro - Best Female Comedy Breakthrough Artist - I love G'sH though would rather Isy Suttie or Sarah Millican had won! Nice mention of Rebecca Front though. Lovely.

Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong - The Writer's Guild of Great Britain

Well, this was lovely. Well done them! I love them and their creations! Hurrah!!

Lifetime Achievement Award - Roy Clarke

Well, I used to watch and enjoy Keeping Up Appearances in my younger days. Last of The Summer Wine certainly isn't my sort of thing but it definitely lasted a long time! His speech was truly lovely - not at all funny, just very sincerely charming. Good for him!

Russell Brand got Outstanding Contribution To Comedy - I know some people have said he's too young but I think he's great! Other people may have made a bigger contribution to comedy - people who are doing the stand up circuit and Edinburgh! But Russell's done some very good films and I think he's very talented and intelligent too. He's not my favourite comedian, wouldn't even make the top ten, but you know, he's great! I think whoever wins an award like this you can be snarky. So I won't be. Though I can completely understand why he fuck's people off! (I just want to give hin a hug though.)

And then we watched the extra stuff with Lauren Laverne and Rick Edwards - most enjoyable! I only wish I'd had a ticket. Maybe next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment