Sunday 16 January 2011

Charlie's Comedians - B - Basden, Tom

Tom Basden is a lovely guy - he's part of the Mark Watson/Tim Key/Alex Horne group! (Though not sure that he's ever done anything with Alex Horne, bet they're friends though!). He was the resident musican on the second series of Mark Watson's radio show (Tim Minchin was on the first series!) - Mark Watson Makes the World Substantially Better.

His stand up is good; it involves some songs (on his guitar), powerpoint, inventions and other unconnected bits of strangeness - he's very endearing though. I especially remember a bit about Susan Kennedy from Neighbours being gay (which is true) and her going out with the actress who plays Libby (her onscreen daughter) - I don't know if this is true!! But it was all very funny. Also Richard always talks about a bit where he was talking about why it would be bad to be raped by Sting. (This sounds really edgy written down; he's actually incredibly sweet and unassuming.)

I've only seen him once (2009 Fringe) doing Now That's What I Call Music-Based Comedy.

But, fond as I am of his stand up I really love his play Party (which I also saw in 2009); it's amazing. They also did it for the radio (Tim Key, Tom Basden, Katy Wix and Anna Crilly). It was amazing. It was really simplistic - not much of a set, just one location. It was about some people setting up their own political party. Tim Key was lovely as ever in it!

Also he's a quarter of Cowards which I love!

This is a picture of Tom Basden:



And here is how he fits into my top five of musical comedians:

1. Tim Minchin
2. James Sherwood
3. Bill Bailey
4. Tom Basden
5. David O'Doherty

No comments:

Post a Comment