Saturday 28 May 2011

Evolution Emerging 2011

Last night I went to an amazing mini-festival in Ouseburn. Evolution Emerging is the little sister of the big Evolution Festival happening over the bank holiday weekend. However, in my opinion this free festival offers a lot more quality than the much larger festival (which is £25 per day or £35 for the whole weekend; a very reasonable festvial price but not as good as free!) - which while offering a lot of great music (including some from Evo Emerging such as Toyger, Vinyl Jacket and The Lake Poets) like Iggy Pop and Billy Bragg, also has Tinie Tempah (oh dear) and a lot pretty bland, boring stuff.

Anyhow, Evolution Emerging was spread over six venues in the Ouseburn Valley (a place so cool the New York Dolls chose to record their most recent album there!) - The Cluny, The Cluny 2, The Star and Shadow Cinema, The Tanners, The Cumberland Arms and The Tyne Bar.

We started off at the Cluny with Vinyl Jacket


We only stayed for a couple of songs as we were trying to get to the next venue (the downside of festivals, I suppose!) but I really enjoyed them and will definitely look out for them (we were given free CDs which include a lot of the music we heard which was great; I was prepared to pay a tenner or whatever it cost!).

We then made our way up the hill the Cumberland Arms. We passed Hyde&Beast on the way! And we located Zoe (yay!). This venue was very cramped and it felt like seeing people play in a barn or something! But I was very impressed with Tomahawks For Targets.


I'd been listening to all of the bands (or most of them) playing to decide who to go and see and I loved these! I subsequently discovered that I knew (vaguely) the bass player, Ross! So that made it all the more exciting (he grew up in my street and was friends with my brother; I hadn't seen him in at least a decade!).

We headed down the hill again and had a quick drink in the Cluny 2 before heading downstairs to see the amazing The Lake Poets. I was so excited about R seeing him! (And I think R was very impressed by the This Ain't Vegas cover - the world of Sunderland bands is small and lovely.)


Absolutely great! I hope to see him again on Sunday!!

After that we had a brief stand about outside the Cluny venues (Cluny 2 was especially hot and steamy!) before heading into the Cluny for a bit of Toyger. They were a cool, fun band who looked to be having an amazing time.



They also dealt very well with the crazy dancers in the front (most dressed as tigers, one girl just wearing a bra!) who kept knocking into people, causing choas etc! They were fun though and the band seemed bemused and flattered.

We left to have a little wander to the Tanners but we stopped in at the Star and Shadow on the way to meet up with Zoe (she'd left after a bit of The Lake Poets' set and gone to see Motion Tourist and Pilots - I think!) and see a tiny bit of Grandfather Birds.



I enjoyed them but not as much as last time I'd seen them. We didn't see their full set though.

We then popped across the road to see Waskerley Way at the Tanners. His stuff is so unlike anything else.


It's a combination of electronic computer stuff and Mikey's guitar or clarinet! Really interesting and clever. We headed back before the end to make sure we got back into the Cluny 2 (they were operating a one in, one out system).

It was still boiling in there; we decided to go on the balcony (hotter but less crowded) and saw the end of Ajimal's set which seemed really good. I'll have to look them up (and listen to my free CD!). The had violins and a cello (which I love).



Then Zoe spotted a free bench so we got to sit down (we were all tired!) for the final band of the night! Hyde&Beast took ages to set up and while we knew who they were (David Hyde, Futureheads drummer and Neil Basset, ex-Golden Virgins drummer) we weren't sure who played with them live but were thrilled to see Barry Hyde on keyboards and Lucas Renney having a wonderful time on the guitar. In fact they all looked like they were having a lot of fun! It was great and I look forward to seeing them again in a couple of weeks.


Overall, the night was wonderful. Every venue we went to (and we only didn't make it to The Tyne!) had a brilliant atmosphere and despite everywhere being packed and hot, everyone was really lovely. We'll be back next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment