Tuesday 26 July 2011

Edinburgh 2008 - Day Five

This was a very quiet Fringe day mostly due to us spending the entire morning shopping due to the appalling weather of the previous day (I bought lovely new jeans and loads of socks! I think Nat bought a new coat. Can't remember what R bought!)

The first play of the day was Othello but it was a pared down version which only had three actors in it. The point of it was to do the play only from the protaganist's point of view (they did a few at the Fringe, luckily we only saw one). It was so long ago it's hard to remember exactly what I didn't like about it but I remember me and R being severely unimpressed and Nat enjoying it.

Then we saw Sarah Millican's Not Nice. It's funny now to think of seeing her in a tiny little hut but we did! Oh man, we saw that show so much. But this was the first time we saw it in its entirety. Ms Millican was lovely, funny and ours. I haven't seen her last couple of shows (I know, I should!) but I'll always have a lot of respect for her (Loose Women aside!) and was chuffed for her when she won Best Newcomer. This was her year all right!

She combines her strong Shields accent with a lot of stuff about sex and relationships. She's not one of my favourite favourites but at the time she definitely was. And I'll always love her.

Next we saw the previous year's Eddie winner, Mr Brendon Burns in Fuck You I'm Brendon Fucking Burns Part VI (Again). He is a mad performer, very loud (he's deaf), very sweary (see the title!) and very funny. "To death?!" remains the most-quoted BB line! I wish I'd seen his previous show live. Amazing stuff.

The Scandalous Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was our last show of the day and it was just as well as I fell asleep. It was a dark show both in tone and in lighting and I just kept dropping off. Whoops! I believe that had I been more awake it was a good show. And it's extra specially gothic to see it at midnight in Edinburgh, the Jekyll and Hyde city. Oh well, it was another late night and we still had a couple of days to go!

I always go to the Fringe for five nights now. To see as many shows as we tend to every day is an unsustainable lifestyle. How comedians and more dedicated (or rich!) fans do it I'm not quite sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment